A museum quality large archeological revival double-sided bulla locket, c.1860. One side is detailed with fine micro mosaic work featuring two flying doves at its center. The mosaic work continues with a geometric pattern in quatrefoil and with a flower motif in the center dropdown. The main center area opens and reveals a locket compartment, which now remains empty with a pink fabric inside. The other side of the locket shows gold granulation and wirework with the raised gold lettering of 'ROMA' and 'AEI'. 'AEI' (aei | ἀεί) means 'You are always' or 'Forever' in Greek-English concordance. Two 3-dimensional small gold amphora drops are hanging on the left and right side of the piece. This locket is crafted in rich 18k gold, and the Vatican assay mark is seen on the back of the top lid. The Vatican workshop mark of two crossed keys & a mitre was used until 1870. No additional mark is seen. However this piece does resemble the work of Ernesto Pierret (1824-1870). It is possible that this piece comes from the workshop based on its quality and style.
The locket looks striking on with its large scale. A few micro mosaic tesserae are missing, and there are a few small minor dents. Overall this piece is in very good condition.
Total Drop (N-S) : Approximately 2.65"
Width : Approximately 1.40"
Weight : 31.57 grams